February 13, 2019

The Dangers of Rat Poison to Dogs and Cats

Poisoning Pets or Family?

I for one can surely say I do not like rodents of any kind but I do however love my dog, Misty. Misty is a very small dog just not much bigger than some of the rodents that I’ve seen in recent weeks they very easily are coming and making a home nearer and nearer to my house I recently discovered that during the colder months of the year all mammals seek refuge from the unforgiving cold this especially mice and rats. As you, I feel like the simplest form as well as the cost-friendliest and what seems like one the of the more humane options you could have, it’s poisoning the rodent with poisons being carried at general stores all across the nation you should easily find what you re looking for to get rid of any pest problem you have.

After doing research on the brands of poison I could get to take care of these pests I stumbled across a very disturbing list of ingredients used in many types of poison some would affect Misty’s ability to see some would enlarge her brain and kill her off in a matter of days and I think of Misty as a part of the family I cant just get over anything happening to her especially if said poison was carelessly made accessible by me. I’m going to take some time and go through the list and what it does to pets and animals in general and why you really need to know what you are doing before carelessly purchasing a product.

The poisons that are used on primarily rats and mice are Anticoagulant rodenticides or ACR’s for short, Cholecalciferol or Vitamin D3 & Phosphides all these have effects on other animals and often are fatal at times, it can affect birds, dogs, and any smaller animals. The least common type of poisoning would be Phosphides which are used to get rid of for lack of better term larger rodents such as Moles and rodents of that size when ingested a Phosphide will release a toxic gas in the stomach as well as being poison to rodents its also poisonous to humans if ingested by an animal you own the best advice would be to not feed your pet anything even though this may sound like torture you run the risk of making the symptoms worse by letting food enter you or the stomach of your pet if injested if you fear this has happened lok for tailtail signs like having a hard time breathing, drooling or weakness in your dog and the obvious side effect of poison death of course.

Next, I’ll go to ARC’s which take 3-5 days to show any effect on your pet ARC’s work by clotting blood in your pets kidney or causing internal bleeding the good news is there is actually a cure for this poison but if left alone for long enough the poison is still fatal, if ingested by your pet you’ll need to pay a visit to the veterinarian for a K1 prescription for 30 days to save your pets life, symptoms you should look for in pets in the 3-5 day period include pale gums, coughing, vomiting and sneezing blood and overall weakness.

Cholecalciferol the most fatal featuring no antidote and needing the smallest amount to kill an animal and also the most expensive to treat, Calcium increases in the body resulting in the shut down of the kidney this typically takes 3 to 7 days of hospitalization with very rapid aggressive treatment being provided to the animal for any hope of survival symptoms of this poison are Halitosis, Kidney failure and Tremors as well. I do not use animal poison as you can see above it comes with a plethora of problems I just get an exterminator to relocate the animals to avoid killing anything purposely or accidentally I hope i have educated you enough to keep your home and pets safe from all the dangers of these types of poison.

Reference List:

Rat Killer Bait Poison Reviews

Poison Control expert help online

Animal Poison Control

Rodenticide – Wikipedia

 

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *